Thursday, April 30, 2015

Last Night's Dinner

Dinner? Supper? What do you call it? When I was little, we always referred to it as supper in NE Iowa, but after meeting my husband he always refers to it as dinner, so I've adopted that...

Our life has been a bit hectic the last couple of weeks as we just moved into our newly built home (I'm SO THANKFUL for my Shakeology® as it really boosts my energy level and keeps me full while I've been running around like a crazy person). Moving really excites my husband as he loves to reorganize, rearrange, and have a good reason to purge things. I, on the other hand, could not think of a less enjoyable task. I am a creature of habit. I love routine. Moving, especially to a brand new town where I know very limited amounts of people, is quite scary and daunting. But, the move went smoothly thanks to the help of many great friends and our wonderful families and we are settling in nicely. We have been without a concrete driveway since we moved and were dealing with a full rock drive instead. My poor car was BEGGING for the drive to be put in as it was hard on the tires navigating that lip into the garage. Two days ago they dug up the drive, got it leveled out and yesterday they poured that and our sidewalk, and it looks fantastic! My husband is one happy camper as it is large enough for his basketball court. I'm happy because it's done! Right now, they are out finishing up by cutting the lines in it, which is not a quiet task! My poor son has had to deal with all of the noise right when his naps are to be taking place, right outside of his window. Luckily with his white noise machine that kid could sleep through a freight train going by!

While I'm sure all of that info was super exciting to ya'll, let's get down to what we had last night for dinner! My beautiful sister-in-law came over for a home cooked meal (college freshman finishing up her first year!) and we grilled marinated chicken/pineapple/kielbasa/veggie kabobs. Fantastic! Here's my recipe:

1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
1 round turkey kielbasa, cubed
2 large green bell pepper, diced into 1/2-3/4" pieces
2 large red bell pepper, diced into 1/2-3/4" pieces
2 golden potatoes, diced into 1" cubes
1 small pineapple, diced into 1/2-3/4" cubes
Extra virgin olive oil
Garlic powder, salt, pepper
Wooden or metal skewers (if using wood, to ensure they do not burn soak full submerged in water for 6+ hours).
Marinade
1 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1 tblsp lemon juice
3 cloves minced garlic
2 tblsp ketchup
4 tblsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp onion powder
pinch of red pepper flakes

Cube up your chicken and make your marinade. Add all marinade ingredients into a large bowl and whisk. If you prefer a sweeter marinade, add a few more pinches of brown sugar. Reserve a small amount of marinade for basting/dipping. Add chicken to marinade and cover. Let sit in fridge for 6-8 hours. With 2 hours remaining, add the diced kielbasa.

Next it's time to half-bake your potatoes. I prefer the oven, but I know some may want the microwave to save time. Poke a few holes in potato with a fork, sprinkle with salt and wrap in foil; bake at 375° for 35 minutes. If using microwave, poke a few holes in the potato with a fork, sprinkle with salt and bake on a plate for 3-4 minutes. Allow to cool completely. Put into refrigerator to continue to cool down for at least 1-2 hours.

Once the potatoes have completely cooled in the fridge, dice them into large chunks. Toss with diced peppers in a light coating of EVOO, salt, pepper and garlic powder.

Assemble the kabobs using at least one piece of each ingredient listed. My husband prefers all meat/potato combos while I like a bit of everything!

Grill over medium/low heat 5-6 minutes on each side, turning once. With only a few minutes remaining of grill time, turn heat down to low and baste meat on skewers. Cook time will vary based on the size of diced meat/veggies, adjust accordingly. Use a meat thermometer to test chicken to ensure doneness.

Serve with reserved dipping sauce!






No comments:

Post a Comment